sweater: J. Crew
top: Grainline’s Tiny Pocket Tank, previously unblogged
necklace: Rare Bird on Etsy
This was my first Tiny Pocket Tank (my second was the top in my Pink Nightmare Pajama set). It’s a lovely pattern, but… I dove headfirst into sewing this, thinking, “eh, it’s a swingy top, no need to muslin!”. Famous last words! The shoulders were way too big, which I decided to fix with a box pleat in the back, but that wasn’t a very elegant solution. And even worse, the armscyes are too tight and ride up in my armpits all. day. long. I need to take off the armhole binding and lower it, but the fabric is pretty sheer and delicate and doesn’t take to seam ripping too well. I did a pretty awful job with the bias binding, too… hopefully it’s not too noticeable.
The fabric was labeled Liberty lawn (totally untrue– unless Liberty is now practically transparent and $8/yard). It’s underlined with yellow cotton batiste that I had in my stash. I was worried that the tank looked too much like PJ’s, but Gail suggested that I wear chunkier accessories with it, and I think that helps.
Despite the issues that I have with this, it’s really a nice pattern and I’m glad that I was able to work out my fitting issues before I made the second version. I’m hoping I can fix this one enough to wear it comfortably because I really do like it. Make one (or four)!