Why, hello, everyone, and a happy Monday to you! Hope you all had smashing weekends! After what feels like decades, I finally have a finished object to show you! I guess it hasn’t been THAT long, but I spent four solid weekends working on this dress.
This is the Chloe dress from Victory Patterns. I really like the lines of this dress– it feels very classic, but also kind of mod. I wanted to keep things very clean and simple, but also a bit dressy, so I used silk taffeta from Mood. I love the body and weight of taffeta– it’s so luxe! I’ve never sewed with silk of any kind before, so it was really exciting to use something so fancy!
Silk does present a few challenges. I hand-washed it prior to cutting out the pattern, which softened it up quite a bit, but also made it CRAZY wrinkly. Seriously– I spent an entire evening pressing out the creases in the fabric! Fortunately it’s not crazy slippery or unstable, so it wasn’t that difficult to sew. It’s tough to press the seams sharply with your iron on the low silk setting– my seam allowances don’t want to lie flat, and the seams aren’t quite as smooth as I would like. Worst of all, after the dress was assembled, I serged the seams, and the seams got so puckery and wrinkly in the back that I almost gave up and threw out the whole project! I’m still not sure what I did wrong– I checked the tension and tested it out on scraps of taffeta with no sign of trouble, but after I had serged everything, I noticed that the seams were all bunched up and uneven. This didn’t happen to the seams in the front, or to the separate bottom band– wha?! It looks OK when I press it like crazy, but after wearing for a little bit (read: minutes), it wrinkles up and looks terrible. Ugh! Any suggestions for what I could do to fix it? I’m planning to just rip out all the seams and restitch them, but since I’m not really sure what went wrong the first time, I’m not sure what I should avoid the next time around! I wish the copy of Claire Shaeffer’s Fabric Sewing Guide that I ordered on Oona‘s suggestion was here already– I have a feeling it will help to clarify what’s wrong.
The dress is fully lined with silk crepe de chine, which feels amazing, but it’s a complete bear to cut and sew. I spent FOREVER cutting out the pieces, and I have no idea if they’re on grain or not as the fabric kept shifting and wiggling, even with tissue paper and pattern weights to stabilize it. But it feels great against the skin and is nice and light– perfect for lining a summer dress!
As far as the pattern goes, I really like how this turned out. Everything went together smoothly and I didn’t have to make any adjustments other than lengthening the dress by 2″ (this sucker is short!). I really should have raised the armscyes, but I didn’t notice how low they were in the muslin stage (whoops!) and I didn’t want the dress to be any shorter, so I didn’t raise it at the shoulders. I may go back and add a little wedge of fabric under the arms. Ha! I guess this dress isn’t a finished object after all!
I wanted to add a little more of the contrast color to this dress, so I drafted a bottom band. It’s really simple to do, but I would be happy to explain it in greater detail if anyone is interested.