Ginger Made: Butterick B5211

Guys– guess what?!  I finished my first sewing project (not counting my childhood sewing disasters)!  It’s Butterick B5211, view B.  It’s supposed to have a self-belt, but I’m not sure if I would wear one, so I skipped it for now.

I don't know what to do with my arms.

I started the dress for a Sewing I workshop at make workshop about a month ago.  We were supposed to make the project in class, but the instructor budgeted time a little strangely and I had to do quite a bit of adjusting for fit, so I ended up having to do all the hard stuff by myself outside of class (facings, neckline, sleeve hems, button and thread loop closure, hem).  As a result, this isn’t a perfect dress by any means.

I'm very pale.

I like the pattern– the dress has a relaxed style that’s both comfortable and hip.  HOWEVER, I didn’t realize when I chose this chambray that the finished product would look like a uniform for a women’s prison.  I think a sophisticated print would make this pattern look edgy and cute instead of dumpy and… funny farm-y.

Belted, and less like I belong on a lady chain gang.

This should have been an easy project, but I didn’t know what I was doing.  Also, in class, the instructor kind of eyeballed me and guessed what size I should make instead of having me take my own measurements.  In the future, I’ll carefully measure before selecting a size so I don’t have to spend so much time adjusting the fit (I had to take the dress in twice, rip out once, and then take it in once more, which was pretty unpleasant).  So I’m sort of viewing this dress as a muslin for the next time I make it!  But, all in all, I’m happy that I finished a dress!  I’m ready to move on to the next project!